The Asia Trade Forum, an initiative of the Irish Exporters Association established to increase two-way trade with Asia, is delighted to announce a Business Visit in June 2013 to two of China’s most fabled and leading business cities, Suzhou and Hangzhou.
The visit will encompass the two cities of Suzhou and Hangzhou, both on the Yangtze River Delta and 30 minutes from Shanghai. Typically, Business Visits tend to focus on Tier 1 cities such as Beijing, Shanghai and Shenzhen. Both Suzhou and Hangzhou are highly competitive cities, with rapid economic development. In addition, they both offer a consumer market with above average disposable incomes. They are ideal gateways to China for your business.
The visit will take place from 23rd to 29th June in partnership Grant Thornton, William Fry, RBS/Ulster Bank, Enterprise Ireland, Euler Hermes, FcM Travel, and Etihad Airways.
The purpose of the Business Visit is to:
- Showcase exporting or partnering opportunities in Yangtze River Delta economic region.
- Showcase Chinese companies who wish to trade with Ireland.
- Highlight the growing indigenous Irish companies operating in China.
- Provide a platform for Irish and Chinese businesses to exchange trading opportunities.
- The event will include seminars, roundtable workshops, and 1:1 meetings with perspective customers and partners.
Dates / Schedule:
–Sunday 23rd June
A.M.: – Depart Ireland Etihad Airways
–Monday 24th June
A.M.: – Arrive in Shanghai Pudong International Airport / transfer to City of Suzhou by road
P.M.: – Arrive City of Suzhou
[Distance from Shanghai Pudong International Airport to Suzhou is about 120km (similar to driving from Dublin to Enniscorthy)
–Tuesday 25th June
All-Day: – Gain real hands-on experience of the Suzhou / China business environment; find out what opportunities are on offer:
Match-making with potential buyers, suppliers, and partners
–Wednesday 26th June
A.M. –Gain real hands-on experience of the Suzhou / China business environment, find out what opportunities are on offer:
Match-making with potential buyers, suppliers, partners
P.M. Depart City of Suzhou / Transfer overland to City of Hangzhou
[Distance from Suzhou to Hangzhou is about 166km (similar to driving from Dublin to Belfast)]
–Thursday 27th June
All-Day:- Gain real hands-on experience of the Hangzhou / China business environment; find out what opportunities are on offer: Match-making with potential buyers, suppliers, and partners
–Friday 28th June
A.M. – Gain real hands-on experience of the Hangzhou / China business environment, find out what opportunities are on offer: Match-making with potential buyers, suppliers, partners
P.M. – Wrap up / Tour of West Lake
Evening – Head to Shanghai Pudong International Airport / Return to Ireland
[Distance from Hangzhou to Shanghai Pudong International Airport is about 200km (similar to driving from Dublin to Tipperary)]
Business Visit Participation Fees and Details
The participation fee to take part on the mission is €500 plus 21.5% VAT per company. The following will be included as part of the participation fee:
- Seminars, business networking events and quality 1:1 match-making meetings (utilising the combined resources of local government and on the ground Irish Exporters Association expertise).
- Group lunches and evening receptions in both cities.
- Company profile and business visit brochure.
- Organisational and logistical support including transfers and transport in China.
- Negotiated group rates in hotels.
Travel Agency Support
Registration for the business visit opens on Tuesday 14th May, please visit http://www.asiatradeforum.org to register.
Final deadline for registration is Friday 7th June.
Travel Information & Visa
Information on travelling in China and vaccine requirements in available from the Department of Foreign Affairs on http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=402
A business visa must be obtained through the Chinese Embassy visa service.
You will be required to include the following:
- Passport valid for at least 6 months with 2 blank pages facing each other
- 1 passport photo
- Company Letter- stating 12 mth multiple visa
- Invitation letter (to be arranged by ATF)
- Application form and additional business form (attached).
Processing time is 10 working days. There is a same day service available for Irish passport holders for an additional €125. The IEA Consular Service can assist with visa applications.
What makes the Asia Trade Forum Business Visit to China Different?
- Irish Exporters Association / Asia Trade Forum, having hosted many high-level delegations from these two cities over the years, have excellent relationships with local governments in Suzhou and Hangzhou
- China isn’t a single market: 5 megacities with populations of over 10,000,000; 14 cities with populations of over 5,000,000 (including Suzhou and Hangzhou), and 41 cities with populations of over 2,000,000. The Yangtze River Delta economic powerhouse is a market place of 88,000,000 people
- The Irish Exporters Association / Asia Trade Forum is in a unique position to work with practical and enthusiastic local governments, Irish business associations and Irish businessmen and businesswomen working on the ground in China to deliver a constructive Business Visit focused on quality match-making and business lead generation
- The Irish Exporters Association / Asia Trade Forum are very conscious of the cost constraints holding many Irish companies back from engaging with China. This will be a very focused Business Visit aimed primarily at developing inroads into China’s Tier 2 city markets where strong local government relationships are critical.
Introducing Suzhou and Hangzhou
“In heaven there is paradise, on earth Suzhou and Hangzhou”
A city built in 514 B.C.; Suzhou has long been one of China’s richest cities. Immediately west of Shanghai is strategically situated in the Yangtze River Delta region, China’s economic epicentre. Suzhou is also located in Jiangsu Province, which has the highest GDP per capita of all Chinese provinces, and the second highest GDP.
Municipality population: 10,500,000
Urban population: 4,074,000
Average temperature in June: 23 degrees
Average annual income: Approx €13,000
According to Forbes ™ China, in 2011 Suzhou was China’s “best business city”, while in 2012 Suzhou was the “most innovative city” in China. Suzhou is also the 2nd largest manufacturing industry base in China, producing, for example, 40% PC sets, 65% mouses, 30% micro-cameras, 10% PC boards of world supply
Suzhou’s ranking among major cities of China 2011 / 2012:
– Patent Applications NO.1
– Government Service NO.1
– Patents Grant NO.2 (2011)
– Best Business Environment NO.3
– Overall Competitiveness NO.5 (2012)
– G.D.P NO.5 (2012)
– Total Exports NO.3
– Total Imports and Exports NO.4
Irish companies including Glanbia, PM Group, EPS Electronics, Element Six, etc, have already either invested in Suzhou operations, partnered with Suzhou-based companies, or sold products and services to companies based in Suzhou.
Legend has it that Marco Polo called the former imperial capital of China, Hangzhou: “without doubt the finest and most splendid city the world“.
Hangzhou is known for its high level of education, advanced technology industries, considerable wealth and the fabled West Lake scenic area. Four of China’s best known brands were born, and are headquartered in Hangzhou Alibaba and Taobao (which is why Hangzhou is referred to as China’s e-commerce capital), Wahaha (mineral water), and Geely (owner of Volvo electric car research).
Municipality population: 8,700,000
Urban population: 6,242,000 (10th largest in China)
Average temperature in June: 23 degrees
Average annual income: Approx €10,000
Ranked by Forbes™ in December 2012, as the second “best city for business” in China, after Shanghai, Hangzhou has benefited almost disproportionately from the spread of wealth, development, and investment from Shanghai, which is 2 hours north. For example, Hangzhou already has 108.5 millionaires per 100,000 residents, China’s highest concentration of wealth.
The provincial capital of central Zhejiang Province, which is considered China’s technological and entrepreneurial heartland, Hangzhou is also situated on the southern wing of the Yangtze River Delta region, where it ranks 2nd in terms of economic prosperity.
Hangzhou’s ranking among major cities of China 2011 / 2012:
- Patent Applications NO. 1 (of Provincial Capitals 2011)
- Government Service NO.2
- Patents Grant NO.2 (2012)
- Best Business Environment NO.2
- Overall Competitiveness NO.8 (2012)
Kerry Group is one of a number of Irish companies who have already either invested in Hangzhou operations, partnered with Hangzhou-based companies, or sold products and services to companies based in Hangzhou
Sector-related Market Opportunities for Irish companies in Suzhou and Hangzhou
- Software, e-commerce, animation, gaming design and testing
- Precision machinery manufacturing
- Services industry
- Cleantech / Environment protection
- Bio-pharmaceutical / medical
- Food, etc…
Note: Do not be put off if your business sector does not appear in the list above, as it is the intention of Irish Exporters Association / Asia Trade Forum to try to assist every company interested in tapping the China market to find potential partners / clients.
Estimated Travel Costs
Once the registration fee has been received and the registration form completed, FcM travel will offer a negotiated package to delegates. However costs may vary according to individual itineraries and exchange rate. The costs are based on the first 20 places on the visit.
The FcM travel cost will be approx. €1800 to include:
- Etihad Flight (Departure from Dublin: Sunday 23rd. Arrive in Dublin Saturday 29th)
- Transfers and internal transport
- Lunch and evening receptions (2 in each city)
- 4* Hotel Accommodation
For further information contact:
Ashley Beston, Asia Trade Forum Manager,
Irish Exporters Association firstname.lastname@example.org or 01- 642 4170
Niall O’Reilly, Director for China, Irish Exporters Association,
Managing Director, Accurate Group – Ireland China Product & Business Development (Export, Import, Partner Due Diligence) Consultancy
Accurate Group China Office : 1-3 Ying Hui Xing Zhou, Jiang Nan Shui Xiang Lian Sheng Road, Yu Hang District, Hangzhou. China 310023| O: +86 571 8709 1253
Accurate Group Ireland Office: 93 Upper Georges Street, Dun Laoghaire, Dublin, Ireland| O: +353-1271-1830